Camille : - I'm a parisian writer, crazy of fashion and bag's addict. I have so much that I can not get into my room.When I discover the Rajiv's bags, they were so perfect that I was in shock of beauty. I had to understand the source of this nomadic aesthetics. Rajiv how come you an idea of bag ?
Rajiv : - One fine day while buying a bag for myself, I observed that all the brands were making similar looking Bags. only the difference was branding and price point. There was nothing unique , and in case of Mens Bags the Choice was Very limited, making it further difficult to buy a product which was unique.
Whenever i came across a good bag, i use to tell to myself " Its a Good Bag , But Its Not Me".
It was then , when i realized that there is scarcity of good bags in market which establish an immediate connect with you, bags you can relate too.
I thought of making a bag for myself, thats how idea of making bags Started.
What are your sources of inspiration ?
- I am lover of Vintage & Antiques, Old Vintage stuff inspires me , example : Handwritten Letters, Manual Winding Clocks, Radios, Oil Lamps etc.
The above things have discipline & love as part of their character. For Example if you do not wind the clock on time , it would stop. If you do not think and write you might spoil the letter or need to write a new letter.
Anything where continuous human effort is required to keep it going inspires me.
How long between the first idea to the final realization ?
- I started off my quest for making bags in 2011 and my first Collection came out in 2012 but it was not as per expectations, the my next colection got ready in 2013 It was better but still something was missing, then in 2014 my collection " Days Of The Raj" was closest to what i conceptualised was completed.
What is the ideal bag for you ? Which functions should respond ? What is the role of aesthetics over functionality ?
- An Ideal bag for me is which accommodates , all my belongings my smart phone , my Wallet , My Note Book , Sunglasses , Pen , Documents , Chequebook, House Keys, But has a Vinatge Soul to it, in terms of looks and feel. When I carry the bag with me , it should be an extension of my body, it should not appear a seprate entity.
How did you find ideas for your denière collection ?
- My Last Colllection was inspired from Perforation Design on " Brogue Shoe" , I used these perforation design for my bags aesthetics character.
What are your dreams for your next collection ?
- My Next Collection Trunk-Call Talkies Can Be Around Clock Towers Around The World, Or Jazz Cafes , I love Pianos may be something around old school musical instruments, Abandoned Mills, Postal Stamps, I am very keen on converting Period Costumes worn by kings & queens into bags surface.
There is too much happening in this tiny brain of mine , BUT IF POSSIBLE i would like to handcraft each bag on my own.
Like every painting is different , each bag will have its own character/soul/Identity , yes that would be my ideal dream -------- to be a " Bag Artist"